st: heteroskedasticity problem in panel

From   parisa <>
Subject   st: heteroskedasticity problem in panel
Date   Sun, 29 Apr 2012 07:58:13 -0700 (PDT)

I 'd like to get some expert advice on heteroskedasticity in panel data.
I have an unbalanced panel with N=20 group and T=28 time period.
I  followed the heteroskedasticity test described in the FAQ using xtgls
( ) .

The following test I have done:
xtgls depvar indvars, igls panels(heteroskedastic)
estimates store hetero
xtgls depvar indvars
local df = e(N_g) - 1
lrtest hetero  . , df(`df')

(log-likelihoods of null models cannot be compared)
Likelihood-ratio test                                  LR chi2(12) =
(Assumption: nohetero nested in hetero)                Prob > chi2 =

So I clearly have a heteroskedasticity problem. But I have two questions:
1-What is the meaning of the first sentence in the test result
(log-likelihoods of null models cannot be compared)?
2-how to correct for heteroskedasticity in panel data except GLS (xtgls
depvar indvars, igls panels(heteroskedastic))?
Thank you