st: RE: Re: -proper- with portuguese/spanish characters

From   Nick Cox <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: Re: -proper- with portuguese/spanish characters
Date   Fri, 27 Apr 2012 17:14:28 +0100

What I understand this to mean is that -proper()- (and also -upper()- and -lower()-) can only be expected to work as advertised for characters 0 ... 127. Whatever is shown in your Stata by char(128) ... char(255) lies outside their domain.

Unfortunately some of us some of the time (including also -asciiplot- (SSC)) have got into the sloppy habit of using ASCII to include chars above 127.

Ronnie Babigumira
Sorry but I should not have posted this as Jorge Eduardo Pérez Pérez had, just a a day earlier, written asking for exactly the same thing. I somehow missed his email.

I also asked Stata Corp about it and this is what they have said

Unfortunately, Stata supports only ASCII characters. You are using special characters that we can probably store, but we cannot process them with Stata commands and functions. -proper()- is working as expected, in the sense that it is converting to uppercase all characters immediately following characters that are not letters. The diacritical characters you are using are not being considered as letters.

The good news is that a good samaritan on the list is working on a solution that may soon be posted on ssc