st: RE: RE: Spooky: Different Results with Repeated FE Estimation

From   Nick Cox <n.j.cox@durham.ac.uk>
Subject   st: RE: RE: Spooky: Different Results with Repeated FE Estimation
Date   Thu, 26 Apr 2012 12:04:12 +0100

For what it's worth, note that -duplicates- would not let you do that without the -force- option. Presumably you used some other method.

Nick
n.j.cox@durham.ac.uk

Miyu Lee

Sarah (and everyone who replied)

I was just about to send out the "solution" to my problem. You were
right - the devil lies in the sorting (and subsequent removal of
duplicates). I had sorted the dataset according to one variable in
order to remove duplicates of such variable, forgetting that within
the duplicates some values of OTHER variables were not duplicates.
STATA ended up sorting the variable differently (within the order that
is) every time giving me the different result at the end. Stupid
mistake! but here is the explanation.

Thanks everyone for the helpful comments.