RE: st: create unique random number variable

From   Nick Cox <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: create unique random number variable
Date   Tue, 24 Apr 2012 13:37:58 +0100

Alternatively, go into a corner to do this

clear
set obs 1000
set seed 12345
gen double rnd = runiform()
gen n = _n
sort rnd
keep in 1/150

and then the values of -n- should be -merge-d with your main dataset.

-----Original Message-----
From: [email protected] [mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of Daniel Feenberg
Sent: 24 April 2012 12:20
To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: st: create unique random number variable

On Tue, 24 Apr 2012, raoul reulen wrote:

> Hello
>
> I'm trying to generate a random number variable like this:
>
> .set seed 12345
> .gen x = int(1000*uniform())
>
> However, the random numbers in variable x are not unique. Is there a
> way to ensure they are unique?

The results from uniform are likely to be unique for any reasonably
sized dataset, but rounding to integer will leave you with duplicates
even for relatively small numbers of observations. You could create a
list of unique random integers with by dropping duplicates:

   set obs 150
   gen x = int(1000*uniform())
   duplicates tag x,generate(tag)
   keep if tag==0 & _n <=100
   save rints,replace

but to get a 100 results I had to start with many more than that and that
ratio would increase asymtotically as one approached 1000 needed values.
Or one could start with 1000 integers in random order, and just use the
number you needed:

   set obs 1000
   gen x = uniform()
   sort x