st: RE: parse

From   Nick Cox <>
To   "''" <>
Subject   st: RE: parse
Date   Tue, 24 Apr 2012 12:04:32 +0100

If that is all that is relevant to -parse-, then those two lines are equivalent to

syntax varlist(min(2))

In other cases, several statements typed before -parse- in a program might affect how it worked.

The job of -parse- was to check and interpret what was typed on the command line in view of the syntax declared.

I have come across a program with these lines

local varlist "req min(2)"
parse "`*'"

Parse is an obsolete command, and I cannot find much reference on it.
Can anyone elaborate a bit on what it does?