Re: st: changing values of a string variable

From   Nick Cox <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: changing values of a string variable
Date   Tue, 24 Apr 2012 08:52:46 +0100

Prakash's opening statement is incorrect. If you -encode- a string
variable, it loses no property and indeed stays exactly as it is. What
happens is that a numeric variable is created with value labels equal
to the string values.

Tashi appears to be seeking something like the last line here

sysuse auto
label def rep78 1 appalling 2 adequate 3 average 4 amazing 5 astounding
label val rep78

. count if rep78=="average":rep78
   30

For more, see in [U] and e.g.

SJ-4-4  dm0009  . . . . . . .  Stata tip 14: Using value labels in expressions
        . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  K. Higbee
        Q4/04   SJ 4(4):488--489                                 (no commands)
        tips for using value labels in expressions

Ken Higbee's paper is accessible at

http://www.stata-journal.com/sjpdf.html?articlenum=dm0009

This syntax has been in Stata a very long time. I don't use it, partly
because I keep forgetting about it and partly because I would need to
look it up to remember what it is, and my wild guess is that many
experienced users would say something similar.

Nick

Prakash Singh [edited slightly]

> when you -encode- any variable it loses its string property so
> there would be numeric value corresponding to id_131 in firms1 and you
> should use that value in your command line

tashi lama