RE: st: St: interpret the result of Hausman test

From   "Hoang Dinh Quoc" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: St: interpret the result of Hausman test
Date   Fri, 20 Apr 2012 16:37:26 +0700

Thank you very much for your explanation, Prof.

Yes, it seems to be quite different between iv and ols; for the variable x
(suspect var for endogenous), the model ols shows the coefficient is .03589
and the p-value 0.615; but the ivreg2 shows coefficient .3302337 and p value
0.020.
Did you mean that I would better take the ovreg2 for the final result?

Best,
Quoc

-----Original Message-----
From: [email protected]
[mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of John Antonakis
Sent: Friday, April 20, 2012 3:53 PM
To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: st: St: interpret the result of Hausman test

According to the endog test, your regressor is probably endogenous
(given that you are close to the commonly-determined critical value of p
< .05) and thus requires instrumenting.  Are the estimates of iv and ols
very different? If they are, and if your instruments are strong , which
they seem to be judging form the Anderson test and the Stock-Yogo
critical values, you may be better off trusting the inefficient iv
estimate, than the efficient (but probably inconsistent) OLS estimate.

See: http://www.stata.com/statalist/archive/2012-03/msg01264.html

Best,
J.

Prof. John Antonakis
Faculty of Business and Economics
Department of Organizational Behavior
University of Lausanne
Internef #618
CH-1015 Lausanne-Dorigny
Switzerland
Tel ++41 (0)21 692-3438
Fax ++41 (0)21 692-3305
http://www.hec.unil.ch/people/jantonakis

Associate Editor
The Leadership Quarterly

On 20.04.2012 10:18, Hoang Dinh Quoc wrote:
> Thanks. Below is what I got by ivreg2 y (x = z), endog(x). You talked
about
> the p-value 0.0600, right? Does this mean that we can conclude no
> endogeneity problem?
>
> Best,
> Quoc
>

> Underidentification test (Anderson canon. corr. LM statistic):
> 49.520
>                                                     Chi-sq(1) P-val =
0.0000

> --
> Weak identification test (Cragg-Donald Wald F statistic):
53.345
> Stock-Yogo weak ID test critical values: 10% maximal IV size
16.38
>                                           15% maximal IV size
8.96
>                                           20% maximal IV size
6.66
>                                           25% maximal IV size
5.53
> Source: Stock-Yogo (2005).  Reproduced by permission.

> Sargan statistic (overidentification test of all instruments):
0.000
>                                                   (equation exactly
> dentified)
> -endog- option:
> Endogeneity test of endogenous regressors:
3.538
>                                                     Chi-sq(1) P-val =
0.0600
> Regressors tested:    sc_tie_weak

> --
> Instrumented:         sc_tie_weak
> Included instruments: sc_tie_strong sex income_cat_07 alter_SIOPs
head_siops
>                        market_close ethnic headage leader hhknown
access_cre
>                        Cre_Con mass_media Road_constraint red_gre
>                        no_extension_contact _Idistrict_2 _Idistrict_3
>                        _Idistrict_4 _Idistrict_5 _Idistrict_6 _Idistrict_7
> Excluded instruments: loan_bank_job

>>> HTH,
>>> J.