Re: st: use of tempfile

From   Prakash Singh <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: use of tempfile
Date   Fri, 20 Apr 2012 11:00:19 +0530

Sarah other statalist scholors, let me explain the issue using
structure given below for raw data.
The data set contains firm level information for 100000 firm from
different states. below given is the structure of information given
for firms' borrowing from mentioned sources with amount and interest
payable. the raw data is so arranged that instead of giving amount and
interest payable for an firm in different column it is stacked in
single column. This means that if you edit a particular firm id by the
variable "srl.no" you will get amount and interest payable for that
firm.
Whereas, my interest is to them as separate variable.

srl. no.	source of loan	amount	interest payable
901.           banks & govt
903.           moneylenders
904.           business partner(s)
905.           suppliers / contractors
906.           friends and relatives
907.           others

Below is the layout of the data
Item	Len	Byte Position
Common Items	35	1 -35
Level	2	36 -37
Filler	2	38 -39
Serial no.	3	40 -42
Loan outstanding-Amount	12	43 -54
Interest payable	12	55 -66
Special characters for OK stamp	2	67 -68
Blank	58	69 -126