Re: st: which statistical analysis to use

From   Nick Cox <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: which statistical analysis to use
Date   Thu, 19 Apr 2012 12:03:54 +0100

A more general point is that you are not wedded to the scores as given
as long as there is a logic to how you treat or re-present them. For
example, if any skills are graded by 0 by everybody then I am not sure
you can do much with those except list them. As far as the other
skills are concerned, you could look at median and quartiles for
scores as well as mean scores.

Some years ago in an internal discussion about workload weights for
different kinds of administrative responsibilities we first rejected
the idea of keeping diaries and quantifying time spent because that
would be a pain and reward the inefficient and penalise the efficient.
Then someone who had been reading about Fibonacci numbers said
something like this. Consider the first few Fibonacci numbers 1, 2, 3,
5, 8, 13, 21. Let's have a system in which being Chair of Dept gets
21, being in charge of a major area gets 13, and so on down to being
just a committee member gets 1. This was just plucked out of the air
as a piece of pure mathematics, but what was interesting was the quick
consensus was that would produce as good a quantification as any other
scheme,