RE: st: Test coefficients

From   Miguel Angel Valencia Garza <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: Test coefficients
Date   Wed, 18 Apr 2012 16:27:43 +0000

I originally tried to plot the predictions for both models, but old panel has 432,104 observations and new panel has 994,931 observations. Since no_observations = no_predicted_values, the plot looks pretty awful and one cannot suggest anything from it. So, I compared the MSEs and they are pretty close to each other.

Finally, I tried to use a Chow test to prove the H0 I wrote in the original mail. The problem was that old panel is included in new panel. Hence, I gave different id to taxpayers in old from the new, ignoring that they might be the same taxpayer. In this point, I felt that I was forcing it. And here I am, stuck with this problem.

Do you have any other ideas, please?

Thank you very much!!

-----Mensaje original-----
De: [email protected] [mailto:[email protected]] En nombre de Nick Cox
Enviado el: miércoles, 18 de abril de 2012 10:01 a.m.
Para: [email protected]
Asunto: Re: st: Test coefficients

The problem with the test you imagine is that the set (old + new)
includes the subset new.  It is easier to define one or more indicator
variables (1 for new data and 0 for old) and phrase a test in terms of
those.

As you're an economist you unsurprisingly tend to think in terms of
such tests. I prefer to think of the whole model and how it works in
predicting the data. Even if the new data are very similar some
coefficients will shift one way and others another way as a matter of
chance, but it's usually how the model works as a whole that interests
me most. So, I would might start by plotting predictions for old data
from old model versus predictions for old data from new model. My
guess is that would seem a strange thing to do in economists' circles.

Nick