Re: st: dropping vars from analysis under conditions

Subject   Re: st: dropping vars from analysis under conditions
Date   Tue, 17 Apr 2012 19:12:20 -0400

I think Maarten  is correct.  Katya is trying for a discrete duration
analysis, by adding the time intervals "interval2 interval3 interval4
interval5 interval6 interval7 ".  The logistic model operates
interval-by-interval.  Her event indicator is zero for all intervals
except those in which  an event occurred. Although the number of
observations is expanded, the number of events would not be; so the
effective amount of information in the data would be unchanged.

However I don't like Katya's analysis.  There's a lot I don't
understand, because she did not describe her data well or show us the
actual command.

 Among the issues:

 1) she doesn't include a cluster() option, so that standard errors
are probably incorrect; 2) the parameters of the logistic model are
not invariant to the choice of intervals; 3) the standard model would
be a discrete hazard or cumulative log-log model; 4) if she has survey
data, she is ignoring completely the sample design; 5) a discrete
hazard model without time-dependent covariates over a long number of
intervals is of doubtful use to me.