st: RE: which statistical analysis to use

From   "Lachenbruch, Peter" <Peter.Lachenbruch@oregonstate.edu>
Subject   st: RE: which statistical analysis to use
Date   Tue, 17 Apr 2012 09:15:18 -0700

Oh my.  You seem to be asking us to do your statistical analysis for you and teach you stata and teach you statistics.  The purpose of this list is to assist you when you are having problems that are a little tricky.  Please get a statistics book or take a statistics course and read the relevant parts of the stata manual.  You must understand what the commands are doing.  Go to "Getting Started with Stata," the "Stata User's Guide" and work through them.  Then go to the reference manual and look for various tabulation commands.
Tony

From: owner-statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu [owner-statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu] On Behalf Of Deborah Beckers [deborahbeckers@hotmail.com]
Sent: Tuesday, April 17, 2012 4:59 AM
To: statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu
Subject: st: which statistical analysis to use

Hello everybody,

I'm having a problem with statistical analysis for my thesis. I am using stata 11 for windows.
My data consists of a survey filled in by 360 companies, and the question I want to use is a question where they get a list of 27 employee skills, and they have to choose the 7 most important skills, by giving them a score from 1 to 7. The other skills (which they find less important) are not given any score (they are zero in my data). The data for that question thus looks somewhat as follows (example for 3 companies, one row per company:

My question is: what kind of statistical analysis should I do, and how, to find out whether certain skills are ranked as more (or less) important than others by the companies, and if this difference is significant?
I tried to do this with a chi-square test for goodness of fit, but i got the error: too many variables specified.

Can somebody please help me?
Thank you!