Re: st: Suggestion - Citing references from Stata Journal

From   Maarten Buis <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Suggestion - Citing references from Stata Journal
Date   Fri, 13 Apr 2012 09:53:53 +0200

On Thu, Apr 12, 2012 at 9:57 PM, Tiago V. Pereira wrote:
> Weak or not, the argument is real, and we found that in practice. Perhaps
> (but I am not sure, of course) researchers from biomedical fields have a
> more dynamic research (i.e. they need to publish faster) and deal with a
> larger number of references, making them unwilling to type references to
> speed up their manuscripts.
>
> For example, nearly all meta-analyses published mentioning Stata have used
> -metan-. However, few papers cite -metan-. Why is that?

The reason is probably that in many disciplines there is no standard
about citing software, atleast outside specialized communities like
the statalist.

If I were the head of your department and that was the reason for not
citing software, than my response to that would be to initiate a
discussion on it, either with you or within the department. If the
reseaon for not citing was unwillingness to spent a few seconds typing
the citation, than that would be very serious and a reason for me to
start disciplinary actions.

This is not only true in academia. Recently, the unwillingness to add
proper citations has cost the German minister of defence and the
president of Hungary their job...

You can obviously do what you want as I am not the head of your
department and it is unlikely that I ever will be, but not citing
articles because you cannot find a way to automatically download the
reference is an extremely risky (and unethical) strategy.

-- Maarten

Maarten L. Buis
Institut fuer Soziologie
Universitaet Tuebingen