RE: st: Stata 12 and HLM Software

To   statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu, "statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu" <statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu>
Subject   RE: st: Stata 12 and HLM Software
Date   Thu, 12 Apr 2012 15:38:30 -0500

At 02:09 PM 4/12/2012, James Stark wrote:
Thanks for all the comments.

After some help from fellow list-servers, we found the solution. The word -save- needs to be changed to -saveold- in both the hlmmkmdm2.do and hlmmkmdm3.do files.

The change occurs in 3 places in each .do file.

HLM6.08 does not recognize Stata12 data files.

Hope this helps.

It still puzzles me that HLM 6.08 could read the .dta files produced by Stata 11, but could not read the .dta files produced by Stata 12. They are the same file format, right? Does a .dta file contain info that specifically says what version of Stata produced it? Maybe HLM 6.08 just assumed it couldn't read a file created by Stata 12 when really it could.

OFFICE: (574)631-6668, (574)631-6463
HOME:   (574)289-5227
EMAIL:  Richard.A.Williams.5@ND.Edu
WWW:    http://www.nd.edu/~rwilliam