RE: st: Using Median for scatter plot

From   "Lachenbruch, Peter" <>
To   "" <>
Subject   RE: st: Using Median for scatter plot
Date   Thu, 12 Apr 2012 08:21:40 -0700

if you have observations that are below the limit of detection (LOD) you need to account for them in the distribution.  A recent article is by
Gillespie, B. W., Chen, Q. REichert, H. , Franzblau, A., Hedgeman, E., Lepkowski, J., Adriaens, P., Demond, A., Luksemburg, W., and Garabrant, D. H. "Estimating Population Distributions When Some DAta
Are Below a Limit of Detection by Using a REverse Kaplan-Meier Estimator" _Epidemiology_ v.21 (4) July Supplement 2010  S64-S70.
It might be nice to see this in Stata.

From: [] On Behalf Of Maarten Buis []
Sent: Wednesday, April 11, 2012 6:47 AM
Subject: Re: st: Using Median for scatter plot

On Wed, Apr 11, 2012 at 3:30 PM, Oybek wrote:
> I need to make two way scatter plot using continuos variable (hormone levels) and age in stata 12. I have around 2000 observations. Is there a command which allows using median hormone levels (instead of mean) for each age?

*--------- begin example -----------
sysuse nlsw88, clear
bys grade: egen med = median(wage)
by grade : gen byte mark = _n == 1
twoway scatter wage grade || ///
       line med grade if mark, sort
(For more on examples I sent to the Statalist see: )

Hope this helps,

Maarten L. Buis
Institut fuer Soziologie
Universitaet Tuebingen