-----Original Message-----
From: [email protected]
[mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of Tiago V.
Pereira
Sent: Thursday, 12 April 2012 3:50 AM
To: [email protected]
Subject: st: Suggestion - Citing references from Stata Journal

Stas Kolenikov has pointed out a set of very interesting posts that are
likely to be useful not only for Stata users but also for Stata
programmers.

http://stats.stackexchange.com/q/3814/5739

One of the messages signalizes:

"What particularly irritates me personally is people who clearly used
user-written packages for statistical software but don't cite them
properly, or at all, thereby failing to give any credit to the authors.
Doing so is particularly important when the authors are in academia and
their jobs depend on publishing papers that get cited. (Perhaps I should
add that, in my field, many of the culprits are not statisticians.)"

For example, I am author of a number of papers, which were only published
because there are  Roger Newson, Maarten Buis, Roger Harbord, Nick Cox,
Jonathan Sterne, Michael Bradburn, ..., among several other researchers
that spent thousands of hours writing programs that are now promptly
available .

However, I don't cite Stata packages, even though several of them have a
full paper published in the Stata Journal. It happens that it is very
tedious to manually add references to my reference manager program. As I
am usually running out of the time, I end up citing only the Stata
software, but no user-written package.

Since the Stata Journal is indexed in the Science Citation Index Expanded
and the CompuMath Citation Index only, I can't found complete references
in an appropriate format that enables me to automatically create the
citation.

So, my suggestion would be to make available complete references in the
website, so that one using ENDNOTE, for example, can quickly import a
reference and cite it in his/her manuscripts.

This is likely to be of great interest for the Stata Journal as well as
for programmers augmenting the credibility of the research work that
depends on user-written Stata packages.

All the best,

Tiago