st: another coding que to group vars

From   Rituparna Basu <>
To   "" <>
Subject   st: another coding que to group vars
Date   Wed, 11 Apr 2012 19:12:07 +0000

Dear Statalist Scholars,

I have yet another coding question to ask. Please see the mock data below:

ID  Y1 Y2 Y3 Y4 Y5 Y6    TYPE
1    x   x    x   x    x  x      type1
2   y    y  y    y    y  y       type2
3   x    x  x    x    .  x        type1
4  x    y   y   x    x  x        type3
5  y    y   y   x   x  x         type4
6  x    .   y    .    .  x          type3
7  x   y   x   x    .   .           type3
8  x  x   x   x    .    .           type5
9 y  y   y   y     .    .           type6

Here ID= Patient ID
Y1-Y6= years
X & Y are two types of group
TYPE= This is the variable I would like to CREATE by grouping x & y into six categories.  (type 1 is group X thru out, type 2 is group Y thru out, type 3 is started as group X and then changed to Y at any time point, type 4 is started as Y and then changed to X at any time point, type 5 & 6 have either X or Y thru out except the last TWO years)). The types includes missing.

Any help is very much appreciated! Please let me know if more clarification is needed.

Thank you in advance!