st: another coding que to group vars

From   Rituparna Basu <basur@pamfri.org>
Subject   st: another coding que to group vars
Date   Wed, 11 Apr 2012 19:12:07 +0000

Dear Statalist Scholars,

I have yet another coding question to ask. Please see the mock data below:

ID  Y1 Y2 Y3 Y4 Y5 Y6    TYPE
1    x   x    x   x    x  x      type1
2   y    y  y    y    y  y       type2
3   x    x  x    x    .  x        type1
4  x    y   y   x    x  x        type3
5  y    y   y   x   x  x         type4
6  x    .   y    .    .  x          type3
7  x   y   x   x    .   .           type3
8  x  x   x   x    .    .           type5
9 y  y   y   y     .    .           type6

Here ID= Patient ID
Y1-Y6= years
X & Y are two types of group
TYPE= This is the variable I would like to CREATE by grouping x & y into six categories.  (type 1 is group X thru out, type 2 is group Y thru out, type 3 is started as group X and then changed to Y at any time point, type 4 is started as Y and then changed to X at any time point, type 5 & 6 have either X or Y thru out except the last TWO years)). The types includes missing.

Any help is very much appreciated! Please let me know if more clarification is needed.

Thank you in advance!

Regards,

RB