st: exiting mata completely

From   Patrick Roland <patrick.rolande@gmail.com>
To   statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu
Subject   st: exiting mata completely
Date   Wed, 11 Apr 2012 12:14:44 -0700

I'm have some mata code, and if some event occurs, then the code
should immediately teminate and not execute any more statements. I'm
having trouble achieving this simple task.

Take the following example. I do not want x to be assigned the value
0. But "exit(1)" does not stop "x=0" from being executed.

mata
x = 9
exit(1)
x = 0
end

There must be some simple command I'm overlooking here...

Best,

Patrick