Re: st: about real() function?mistakes happened when transform strings to numeric

From   Nina YIN <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: about real() function?mistakes happened when transform strings to numeric
Date   Wed, 11 Apr 2012 10:06:43 +0200

Thanks, KC. destring does work. Great!

I don't get it what's the problem with real().

Is there anyone know about it? Thanks.

On Tue, Apr 10, 2012 at 5:45 PM, K C Wong <[email protected]> wrote:
> how about using "destring"instead?
>
> On Wed, Apr 11, 2012 at 3:27 AM, Nina YIN <[email protected]> wrote:
>> Dear all,
>>
>> I am wondering whether you have met such situation:
>>
>> When I try to transform a string variable into numeric one, I use, for
>> example, -gen rxndc=real(ndc)
>> Then I hope that it will change the type of the variable, and after
>> that, I could merge two datasets using rxndc which is the same type in
>> both datasets.
>> The strange thing is that, this command worked well in my laptop,
>> while in the university server, it failed, the numeric variable rxndc
>> wasn't consistent with the string one "ndc".
>> If you have any idea, could you kindly give me any suggestions?
>> Thanks in advance!
>>
>> --
>> Best Regards,
>> Nina YIN