Re: st: identifying variables

From   Nick Cox <>
Subject   Re: st: identifying variables
Date   Mon, 9 Apr 2012 08:57:58 +0100

You have provided yet another example of a problem in which -strpos()-
offers a simple alternative to -regexm()-.

That aside, your syntax is looking for the string "real" in the
_variable names_ themselves, for which

. findname *real*

would be a more obvious syntax, and indeed -describe *real*- would
work fine. Stata has a similar distinction in all string and regular
expression functions between looking in a string variable strvar and
looking in a variable name "varname".

. l in 1

     |     foo       bar     bazz    y         x |
  1. | reality   surreal   unreal   42   3.14159 |

. findname in 1, all(strpos(@, "real"))
foo   bar   bazz

. findname in 1, all(regexm(@, "[real]"))
foo   bar   bazz

. findname in 1, all(regexm(@, "real"))
foo   bar   bazz

@ is the default generic varname. -placeholder()- lets you specify an
alternative. You only need to specify "@" for searching the variable
names, but as above there are easier ways to do that.