Re: st: Capturing the date and which something first occurs

From   Nick Cox <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Capturing the date and which something first occurs
Date   Fri, 6 Apr 2012 18:41:17 +0100

When the first occurrence occurred is discussed in the same FAQ

http://www.stata.com/support/faqs/data/firstoccur.html

Here is another way to do it.

egen date_first = min(time / state), by(id)

Explanation: This is the trick that dividing by zero can be useful.
time / 0 is returned as missing and thus ignored in the calculation of
the minimum, as long as the -state- did occur.

Nick