st: RE: Syntax highlighting

From   "Cohen, Elan" <>
To   "" <>
Subject   st: RE: Syntax highlighting
Date   Wed, 4 Apr 2012 20:28:52 +0000

I use Notepad++ and have the same issue.  I believe what's happening is that ' is acting as an escape character for ".  Hence Notepad++ doesn't recognize that the quote is being closed.  As an (unsatisfactory) workaround, I usually just add *" to the following line.  This returns the syntax highlighting to normal.

- Elan

Elan D Cohen, MS
Center for Research on Health Care Data Center
University of Pittsburgh
*Follow the ICRE on Twitter @PittICRE and like us on Facebook*

-----Original Message-----
From: [] On Behalf Of Darves, Derek
Sent: Wednesday, April 04, 2012 15:33
Subject: st: Syntax highlighting

>Hi All,

When using an external text edit program with the stata commands loaded I
find that any loop in the file does not seem to "close," such that syntax
is incorrectly highlighted from the loop forward. Is this something wrong
with the code here:

foreach var of varlist x1 x2 x3 {
capture rename `var' `=lower("`var'")'

It runs fine in Stata but seems to cause a problem with syntax
highlighting, where everything to follow is treated as a comment.

Thanks for any help with this,