RE: st: Plot means with SD

From   "Trelle Sven" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: Plot means with SD
Date   Wed, 4 Apr 2012 09:34:37 +0200

I usually do this the complicated way but it allows to extend what is
plotted e.g. you could show the means and SDs in the plot if you want to
(same principle as was used for displaying the variable var in the code
below). However, you have to fiddle with the positioning of the
different "objects" on the y-/x-scale.
I am sure the more advanced Stata users have much simpler solutions ...:
Sven

****
* Example starts
sysuse auto, clear

gen index = _n
gen var = ""
gen mean = .
gen sd = .
gen lsd = .
gen usd = .

local n=1
foreach var of varlist price weight {

	sum `var'
	replace var = "`var'" in `n'
	replace mean = r(mean) in `n'
	replace sd = r(sd) in `n'
	local n = `n'+1
}

replace lsd = mean - sd
replace usd = mean + sd
replace index = . if var==""

qui sum usd
local u = r(max) // could be used to determine range of axis
qui sum lsd
local l = r(min) // could be used to determine range of axis
sum index
local i = r(max) + 1
gen labpos = `l'-10

scatter index mean, msymbol(O) yscale(r(1 `i') off) ///
	|| scatter index labpos, msymbol(i) mlabel(var) ///
	|| rspike lsd usd index, hor legend(off)

* Example ends