st: using Freeman-Tukey arcsine transformation with metan command

From   Jessica Keithlin <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: using Freeman-Tukey arcsine transformation with metan command
Date   Mon, 2 Apr 2012 12:38:37 -0400 (EDT)

Hello Stata Community,

This is my first post on Statalist so I hope it turns out OK =)

I was wondering if anyone has any experience using the Freeman-Tukey arcsine transformation/back-transformation for a meta-analysis? I will be performing a meta-analysis on proportions (as opposed to the typical OR/RR etc) and much of the literature recommends this transformation as a way of dealing with the weighting/variance issue. After the transformation I plan on running a random effects analysis using the metan command (a lot of heterogeneity between my studies). Has anyone used this approach before? Does anyone have recommendations for the coding of the back transformation after the analysis is performed? Any cautions or thoughts on the transformation or alternative approaches I might not have heard of?

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

Jessica Keithlin
Centre for Public Health and Zoonoses