Re: st: question: mata compilation line skip rules

From   Maarten Buis <>
Subject   Re: st: question: mata compilation line skip rules
Date   Thu, 29 Mar 2012 22:03:23 +0200

2012/3/29 László Sándor :
> One of the biggest hints one gets when Mata does not compile is how
> many lines were skipped. (I cannot get myself a line number with -set
> matalnum- or -set matadebug-.)
> I could not find the documentation on the rules how this is done. How
> could I reverse engineer which piece of my code did not compile?
> I have an ado file with multiple Mata function definitions at the end,
> also cross-referencing to one another.

One way is to open the ado file in the do-file editor and do that .ado
file. This in essence treats the .ado file as a .do file that creates
a (set of) program(s) and Mata functions. You usually have to first
type -clear all- to make sure none of these aren't already in memory.
What you are looking for are the first error messages in the Mata
section. These are usually a pretty good indicator of where the
problem is. The later error messages are usually just the results of
the earlier errors and not very informative.

Hope this helps,

Maarten L. Buis
Institut fuer Soziologie
Universitaet Tuebingen