AW: AW: st: error message "too many weights"

From   "Jette Kellerhoff" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   AW: AW: st: error message "too many weights"
Date   Tue, 27 Mar 2012 19:43:30 +0200

Thanks for your advice. It is true, that the data is part of a survey, but I
have chosen only the subjects of one sample. The variable gew represents the
real abundance pattern of these subjects - the values of gew are the
expansion factors. The expansion factors of the subjects are multiplied by
the probability to stay in the panel. Is it correct to use fweight in that
case, or pweight? I am not used to Stata, normally I use SPSS.

Jette

-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----
Von: [email protected]
[mailto:[email protected]] Im Auftrag von Steve Samuels
Gesendet: Dienstag, 27. März 2012 11:14
An: [email protected]
Betreff: Re: AW: AW: st: error message "too many weights"

Jette Kellerhoff-

Your use of the words "panel" and "wave". suggests that you have survey
data. If so, the weight should be designated a probability weight (pweight).
At a minimum then, you need  [pweight = gew] in the -stset- statement. This
will give you properly weighted estimates of descriptive statistics like the
survival curve.

If the survey had a multi-stage design and you intend to run regression
commands like -stcox-, you will need to -svyset- the data. If you don't,
standard errors and p-values will be wrong. The -svyset- statement has the
form:

svyset psu_var [pw = gew], strata(stratum_var)

After that, use the -svy:- prefix for -stcox- and -streg-.

 If you are planning  multiple failure time analyses and weights are
constant within id, then you will be omit the cluster(id) option in -stset-.
That won't matter, because standard errors will be based on the survey
design.

If weights are not constant within ID, -stset- will complain.  So check
first.  You have multiple spell data, apparently, and I'm not sure of your
data structure. But a generic solution is to add an enter() option to the
-stset- statement and omit the id() option. The code would be something
like:

svyset psu_var [pw = gew], strata(stratum_var)
stset  tfp , fail(event indicator) enter(start time for spell) exit(time.)
svy: stcox   // etc.

Steve
[email protected]

See also: http://www.stata.com/statalist/archive/2008-10/msg01494.html.