st: RE: Kleinbargen Paap

From   "Schaffer, Mark E" <>
To   <>
Subject   st: RE: Kleinbargen Paap
Date   Tue, 27 Mar 2012 15:03:39 +0100

It's a tricky question.  The Stock-Yogo critical values can be used with
the Cragg-Donald statistic, but the theory assumes iid etc.

The Kleibergen-Paap statistic generalizes the C-D stat to cover things
like heteroskedasticity, but it has only an asymptotic justification.
That is, you can use it for testing for underidentification - like the
original use of the C-D stat, Anderson's test, etc.  But as far as I
know, nobody has worked out the theory, critical values, etc., for using
it to test for weak identification.

The only thing I can suggest is to use the Stock-Yogo critical values
anyway and just be cautious about interpreting the results.

BTW, you refer to the first-stage F-stat.  In the special case of a
single endogenous regressor, the Kleibergen-Paap statistic is
numerically equivalent to a robust first-stage F-stat.

Heriot-Watt University is the Sunday Times
Scottish University of the Year 2011-2012

We invite research leaders and ambitious early career
researchers to join us in leading and driving research
in key inter-disciplinary themes. Please see

for further information and how to apply.

registered under charity number SC000278.