st: Stata 12 -twoway function, horizontal recast(area)- bug affecting -confunnel-

From   Tom Palmer <>
Subject   st: Stata 12 -twoway function, horizontal recast(area)- bug affecting -confunnel-
Date   Tue, 27 Mar 2012 13:51:28 +0100

Hi all,

There is a problem in Stata version 12.1 (and 12.0) when -twoway function- is used with the -horizontal- and -recast(area)- options. In the following the second overlaid plot is drawn incorrectly:

  twoway function x, horizontal || function x, horizontal recast(area)

The bug does not occur when I run this code in Stata version 11.2, but strangely does occur in Stata 12.1 under version control, i.e. the above command prefixed with say -version 11.2:-

My -confunnel- program (for contour enhanced funnel plots in meta-analysis) uses commands like this and hence its plots under Stata 12 with shaded regions (the default) are now incorrect, luckily -confunnel- plots using the -noshadedregions- option are unaffected.

Thanks to Sven Kepes for spotting this. I have reported this to Tech Support who will hopefully fix this in a future update.

Best regards,