Re: st: How to find extreme values

From   Nick Cox <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: How to find extreme values
Date   Tue, 27 Mar 2012 13:02:34 +0100

The help for -extremes- (SSC) does not show an option to generate an
indicator variable and I can confirm that there is no such
undocumented option.

This was, and is, entirely deliberate on my part as the author of
-extremes-. I don't want to (seem to) encourage people to create an
indicator, which is then likely to be used in dubious decisions. The
point of -extremes- is to encourage _thinking_ about extremes.

There are people who feel the want or need to automate decisions about
outliers, and they are naturally welcome to write their own programs
in their own way.

Nick

On Tue, Mar 27, 2012 at 12:30 PM, Nakelse, Tebila (AfricaRice)
<[email protected]> wrote:
> Thank you Nick,
> The  correct multiplier  I had  in mind is 1.5*iqr , as it is set in -extremes- as default, and not  1.25*iqr.
> Anyway, -extremes- is very suitable to list  the extremes value. But I don't know if -extremes- can help to  create a variable to identify the extreme value in the dataset.
> I guess it would be useful because of the fact that one can use to correct the extreme value (I mean  Replacement with a given estimate) or exclude the extreme value  from an estimation ( a regression for example).

Nick Cox