Re: st: Merge data for two panels in a panel data set

From   "[email protected]" <[email protected]>
Subject   Re: st: Merge data for two panels in a panel data set
Date   Mon, 26 Mar 2012 16:59:42 +0100 (BST)

Dear Erik,

thanks for helping me on that. I have adjusted your code but I struggle now with running one of the code lines:

collapse (sum) item1, by(collapseind date)

Since I have many variables (about 60), I would like to make the summation for all of them at once. I have tried with the following command following your suggestion:

collapse (sum) _all, by(collapseind date)

but I get the following message by Stata:

"collapseind may not be both target and by()"

I wonder if it is possible to overcome this. I also have some string variables. Is it possible to say Stata to keep the string variables only for the one firm that continues to carry the firm name after the merger (i.e. Firm 2)?

Rado