Re: st: qplot , over()

From   Nick Cox <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: qplot , over()
Date   Sat, 24 Mar 2012 08:16:42 +0000

I think you meant

bysort foreign (mpg) :

Either way, the -egen- route is convenient because it does the right
thing with missing values.

More importantly, I agree with the broad point. We are often flipping
between two opposite truths:

1. A dedicated program does almost all the work for you, including
dealing with awkward details.

2. If you break down the problem into soluble sub-problems, you can
work out the problem yourself with a few lines of code.

Nick