st: Use varlabel in expressions

From   Marcelo Lafleur <lafleurm@un.org>
To   statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu
Subject   st: Use varlabel in expressions
Date   Fri, 23 Mar 2012 14:53:33 -0400

I've had not luck with this and all references in this list point to use
of value labels.

My question is simple: How, if possible, to drop variables based on a
prefix in their varlabels?

Examples:

. des  mv218 mv225 mv245 mv246

variable name       value label      variable label
mv218                                           number of living children
mv225                  mv225            na-current pregnancy wanted
mv245                                           women fathered children
with
mv246                   mv246           na-married to mother when first
child was born

(I edited the output a bit)

I want to drop mv225 and mv246 by testing that the variable label starts
with "na-"

Having hundreds of variables in each dataset, it would be impractical to
do by hand.

Any ideas?

Marcelo