Bookmark and Share

Notice: On March 31, it was announced that Statalist is moving from an email list to a forum. The old list will shut down at the end of May, and its replacement, statalist.org is already up and running.


[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: st: playing with coefficients


From   Chiara Mussida <cmussida@gmail.com>
To   statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu
Subject   Re: st: playing with coefficients
Date   Fri, 23 Mar 2012 15:33:16 +0100

Occupation takes the values from 1 to 7, therefore by using
i.occupation I get 7 coefs. i.fem is instead a dummy variable (fem==1
if female, 0 otherwise). The use of both i.occupation and i.fem
therefore gives me the coefs for female. How do I get the one for male
(fem==0)?

Thanks
chiara

On 23/03/2012, Christopher Baum <kit.baum@bc.edu> wrote:
> <>
> Chiara said
>
> I totally agree: is there a way to cast this as a single regression:
> reg lwage pexper pexpersq edu2 edu3 child12 married northe centre
> south ftc partime d09 if fem==0 & cond3==1 & age>=15 & age<=64 &
> dipind==1 & hours>20 & hours<55 & occupation==1
> reg lwage pexper pexpersq edu2 edu3 child12 married northe centre
> south ftc partime d09 if fem==1 & cond3==1 & age>=15 & age<=64 &
> dipind==1 & hours>20 & hours<55 & occupation==1
> reg lwage pexper pexpersq edu2 edu3 child12 married northe centre
> south ftc partime d09 if fem==0 & cond3==1 & age>=15 & age<=64 &
> dipind==1 & hours>20 & hours<55 & occupation==2
> reg lwage pexper pexpersq edu2 edu3 child12 married northe centre
> south ftc partime d09 if fem==1 & cond3==1 & age>=15 & age<=64 &
> dipind==1 & hours>20 & hours<55 & occupation==2
> reg lwage pexper pexpersq edu2 edu3 child12 married northe centre
> south ftc partime d09 if fem==0 & cond3==1 & age>=15 & age<=64 &
> dipind==1 & hours>20 & hours<55 & occupation==3
> reg lwage pexper pexpersq edu2 edu3 child12 married northe centre
> south ftc partime d09 if fem==1 & cond3==1 & age>=15 & age<=64 &
> dipind==1 & hours>20 & hours<55 & occupation==3
> reg lwage pexper pexpersq edu2 edu3 child12 married northe centre
> south ftc partime d09 if fem==0 & cond3==1 & age>=15 & age<=64 &
> dipind==1 & hours>20 & hours<55 & occupation==4
> reg lwage pexper pexpersq edu2 edu3 child12 married northe centre
> south ftc partime d09 if fem==1 & cond3==1 & age>=15 & age<=64 &
> dipind==1 & hours>20 & hours<55 & occupation==4
> reg lwage pexper pexpersq edu2 edu3 child12 married northe centre
> south ftc partime d09 if fem==0 & cond3==1 & age>=15 & age<=64 &
> dipind==1 & hours>20 & hours<55 & occupation==5
> reg lwage pexper pexpersq edu2 edu3 child12 married northe centre
> south ftc partime d09 if fem==1 & cond3==1 & age>=15 & age<=64 &
> dipind==1 & hours>20 & hours<55 & occupation==5
> reg lwage pexper pexpersq edu2 edu3 child12 married northe centre
> south ftc partime d09 if fem==0 & cond3==1 & age>=15 & age<=64 &
> dipind==1 & hours>20 & hours<55 & occupation==6
> reg lwage pexper pexpersq edu2 edu3 child12 married northe centre
> south ftc partime d09 if fem==1 & cond3==1 & age>=15 & age<=64 &
> dipind==1 & hours>20 & hours<55 & occupation==6
> reg lwage pexper pexpersq edu2 edu3 child12 married northe centre
> south ftc partime d09 if fem==0 & cond3==1 & age>=15 & age<=64 &
> dipind==1 & hours>20 & hours<55 & occupation==7
> reg lwage pexper pexpersq edu2 edu3 child12 married northe centre
> south ftc partime d09 if fem==1 & cond3==1 & age>=15 & age<=64 &
> dipind==1 & hours>20 & hours<55 & occupation==7
>
> preserve
> keep if cond3==1 & age>=15 & age<=64 & dipind==1 & hours>20 & hours<55
> reg lwage i.fem##i.occupation##c.(pexper pexpersq edu2 edu3 child12 married
> northe centre south ftc partime d09)
> restore
>
> If some of the parenthesized variables are categorical, rewrite the latter
> as
>
> (c.pexper c.pexpersq i.edu2 i.edu3 c.child12 ... )
>
> You can then use margins to produce coefficients or conditional means for
> any combinations of gender and occupation.
>
> Kit
>
> Kit Baum   |   Boston College Economics & DIW Berlin   |
> http://ideas.repec.org/e/pba1.html
>                              An Introduction to Stata Programming  |
> http://www.stata-press.com/books/isp.html
>   An Introduction to Modern Econometrics Using Stata  |
> http://www.stata-press.com/books/imeus.html
>
>
> *
> *   For searches and help try:
> *   http://www.stata.com/help.cgi?search
> *   http://www.stata.com/support/statalist/faq
> *   http://www.ats.ucla.edu/stat/stata/
>


-- 
Chiara Mussida
PhD candidate
Doctoral school of Economic Policy
Catholic University, Piacenza (Italy)
*
*   For searches and help try:
*   http://www.stata.com/help.cgi?search
*   http://www.stata.com/support/statalist/faq
*   http://www.ats.ucla.edu/stat/stata/


© Copyright 1996–2014 StataCorp LP   |   Terms of use   |   Privacy   |   Contact us   |   Site index