st: use of subinstr

From   tashi lama <>
To   <>
Subject   st: use of subinstr
Date   Thu, 22 Mar 2012 20:17:35 +0000

Hello All,

I have a very large dataset with about 51 variables. I would like to write a program which would calculate rowmean but leaving one variable each time. Here is my code

ds var*
local varlist `r(varlist)'
foreach x of local varlist {
local varlist_new=subinstr("`varlist'", "`x'","",1)
di "`varlist_new'"
egen ave_`x'=rowmean(`varlist_new')

This works great if my variables are less than 244 char. However, my variables are way bigger than 244 chars. What option do I have now? My dataset has missing values if that matters.