st: RE: gen a variable

From   Nick Cox <>
To   "''" <>
Subject   st: RE: gen a variable
Date   Thu, 22 Mar 2012 15:37:27 +0000

Look at the help for -egen-.

sysuse auto
tab rep78, su(foreign)
egen mean_foreign = mean(foreign), by(rep78)
tabdisp rep78, c(mean_foreign)

may indicate technique.

Chiara Mussida

I wanto to gen variable for the sample proportions: men and women in
each occupation.
sum hwage lwage edu1 edu2 edu3 fem age married ftc northw northe
centre south partime pexper ncomp nkid3 nkid36 nkid612 d09 d10 if
cond3==1 & age>=15 & age<=64 & dipind==1 & hours>20 & hours<55 &

showsme the proportion I want to hava as a variable for each
occupation and gender. It is the value of fem (its mean). Is there a
way to generate a variable which takes the value computed by sum (for
each category) automatically in Stata after each sum?