Re: st: Clustering with Sequence analysis/optimal matching

From (Brendan Halpin)
Subject   Re: st: Clustering with Sequence analysis/optimal matching
Date   Wed, 21 Mar 2012 18:17:30 +0000

On Wed, Mar 21 2012, Stefan Weih wrote:

> In determining the optimal number of clusters I tried to create a
> dendrogram using the syntax:
> cluster tree wards, cutnumber(20)
> Unfortunately, it returns the error message "currently can't handle
> dendrogram reversals".

According to my limited understanding of cluster analysis, reversals
shouldn't occur with Ward's method. They are expected with some other

Did you actually use Ward's method?

Is your distance matrix actually called wards or is that a typo in your
-cluster tree- command?

Brendan Halpin,   Department of Sociology,   University of Limerick,   Ireland
Tel: w +353-61-213147  f +353-61-202569  h +353-61-338562;  Room F1-009 x 3147    ULSociology on Facebook:         twitter:@ULSociology