Re: st: Brown et al decomposition of the gender wage gap

From   Maarten Buis <>
Subject   Re: st: Brown et al decomposition of the gender wage gap
Date   Tue, 20 Mar 2012 11:57:28 +0100

On Tue, Mar 20, 2012 at 9:58 AM, Chiara Mussida <> wrote:
> Dear All,
> The complete reference is:
> Brown, Randall S., Marilyn Moon and Barbara S. Zoloth, 1980,
> “Incorporating Occupational Attainment in Studies of Male-Female
> Earnings Differentials”, The Journal of Human Resources, Vol. 33 (1):
> pp.3-28.
> question: is there a way to run this decomposition in Stata?

That seems doable. I don't think there is a canned solution, so you'll
just have to do all the steps yourself. But these steps seem to be
well enough described in the article.

Though I have some trouble when they write:

"Until two recent papers, little research has focused on constructing
a model of occupational attainment."

Really, even in the '80s there has been for decades a thriving
sub-discipline doing exactly that (just not within economics...).

-- Maarten

Maarten L. Buis
Institut fuer Soziologie
Universitaet Tuebingen