RE: st: Confirming whether a variable is binary or continuous

From   Cameron McIntosh <[email protected]>
To   STATA LIST <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: Confirming whether a variable is binary or continuous
Date   Sun, 18 Mar 2012 23:02:42 -0400

I think that the only way to decide how to proceed is to first approach this issue conceptually (i.e, think about it) -- based on your content area expertise, is the covariate in question truly binary (qualitative) or do the observed categories merely discretize a latent continuous process? If the former, you can use observed categorical variable methodology to examine the covariate distributions by treatment group. (e.g., chi-square tests of independence and related methods for contingency tables); if the latter, then you may be into tetrachorics and the like.
MacDonald, P.L., & Gardner, R.C. (2000). Type I Error Rate Comparisons of Post Hoc Procedures for I j Chi-Square Tables. Educational and Psychological Measurement, 60(5), 735-754.

Bentler, P.M. (2011). Can Interval-level Scores be Obtained from Binary Responses? UCLA Preprint #622.http://preprints.stat.ucla.edu/622/Bentler%20Interval%20Scores%20from%20Binary%20Responses.pdf

Ulrich, R., & Wirtz, M. (2004). On the correlation of a naturally and an artificially dichotomized variable. British Journal of Mathematical and Statistical Psychology, 57(2), 235–251.

Ledesma, R.D., Macbeth, G., & Valero-Mora, P. (2011). Software for Computing the Tetrachoric Correlation Coefficient. Revista Latinoamericana de Psicología, 43(1), 181-189. http://openjournal.konradlorenz.edu.co/index.php/rlpsi/article/viewFile/459/463

Greer, T., Dunlap, W.P., & Beatty, G.O. (2003). A Monte Carlo Evaluation of the Tetrachoric Correlation Coefficient. Educational and Psychological Measurement, 63(6), 931-950.

Bonett, D.G., & Price, R.M. (2005). Inferential Methods for the Tetrachoric Correlation Coefficient. Journal of Educational and Behavioral Statistics, 30(2), 213-225.

Long, M.A., Berry, K.J., & Milke, P.W., Jr. (2009). Tetrachoric Correlation: A Permutation Alternative. Educational and Psychological Measurement, 69(3), 429-437.

Genest, C., & Lévesque, J.-M. (2009). Estimating correlation from dichotomized normal variables. Journal of Statistical Planning and Inference, 139(11), 3785-3794.

Choi, J., Peters, M., & Mueller, R.O. (2010). Correlational analysis of ordinal data: from Pearson’s r to Bayesian polychoric correlation. Asia Pacific Education Review, 11(4), 459-466.

Cam