RE: st: Multilevel difference modeling with suest

From   Cameron McIntosh <[email protected]>
To   STATA LIST <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: Multilevel difference modeling with suest
Date   Sun, 18 Mar 2012 20:18:05 -0400

Peter,

I think the main issue is how exactly to handle the difference scores in the model... my opinion is don't bother with them at all, they're dangerous. I would strongly recommend using polynomial regression instead, for reasons discussed in detail in:
Edwards, J.R. (2002).  Alternatives to difference scores: Polynomial regression analysis and response surface methodology. In F. Drasgow & N. W. Schmitt (Eds.), Advances in measurement and data analysis (pp. 350-400).  San Francisco: Jossey-Bass.
Edwards, J.R. (2001).  Ten difference score myths. Organizational Research Methods, 4, 264-286.http://public.kenan-flagler.unc.edu/faculty/edwardsj/Edwards2001b.pdf

Edwards, J. R., & Cable, D. M.  (2009).  The value of value congruence.  Journal of Applied Psychology, 94(3), 654-677.http://public.kenan-flagler.unc.edu/faculty/edwardsj/EdwardsCable2009.pdf

Edwards, J.R. (2007). Polynomial regression and response surface methodology.  In C. Ostroff & T.A. Judge (Eds.), Perspectives on organizational fit (pp. 361-372).  San Francisco: Jossey-Bass.http://public.kenan-flagler.unc.edu/faculty/edwardsj/Edwards2007.pdf

Klein, G., Jiang, J.J., & Cheney, P. (2009). Resolving Difference Score Issues in Information Systems Research. MIS Quarterly, 33(4), 811-826.

Cafri, G., van den Berg, P., & Brannick, M.T. (2010). What Have the Difference Scores Not Been Telling Us? A Critique of the Use of Self—Ideal Discrepancy in the Assessment of Body Image and Evaluation of an Alternative Data-Analytic Framework. Assessment, 17(3), 361-376.

Venkatesh, V., & Goyal, S. (2010). Expectation Disconfirmation and Technology Adoption: Polynomial Modeling and Response Surface Analysis. MIS Quarterly, 34(2), 281-303.

Cohen, A., Nahum-Shani, I., & Doveh, E. (2010). Further Insight and Additional Inference Methods for Polynomial Regression Applied to the Analysis of Congruence. Multivariate Behavioral Research, 45(5), 828-852.

Shanock, L.R., Baran, B.E., Gentry, W.A., Pattison, S.C., & Heggestad, E.D. (2010). Polynomial Regression with Response Surface Analysis: A Powerful Approach for Examining Moderation and Overcoming Limitations of Difference Scores. Journal of Business and Psychology, 25(4), 543-554.

As for the nesting issue, Taylor linearization or bootstrapping would be reasonable options, as I gather that you are not really interested in explicitly modeling the hierarchical structure and only regard within-cluster correlation as a nuisance parameter. I think you could implement your polynomial regression through -cmp-.
Roodman, D. (2011). Fitting fully observed recursive mixed-process models with cmp. The Stata Journal, 11(2), 159-206.http://www.stata-journal.com/article.html?article=st0224
http://ideas.repec.org/c/boc/bocode/s456882.html
Hope this helps,
Cam