Re: st: Parsing words on allcaps

From   Nick Cox <njcoxstata@gmail.com>
Subject   Re: st: Parsing words on allcaps
Date   Sat, 17 Mar 2012 10:38:01 +0000

-moss- (SSC) should help.

Nick

On 17 Mar 2012, at 09:53, Matthew Kerby <kerbym@mun.ca> wrote:

Dear Statalist

Perhaps somebody can advise on how to solve this problem.

I have a dataset which consists of a single string variable. The each observation consists of a sentence which in turn contains a name in all caps. I would like to create a new variable which contains only those words which appear in all caps. eg. in example below I would like to extract the name of the hockey player.

clear
input str244 string
"GRETZKY W. likes hamburgers"
"Hotdogs are preferred by LEMIEUX M."
"All things being equal, CROSBY S. will eat doughnuts"
end

I would like to end up with a string variable (player) which looks like the following:

player
"GRETZKY W."
"LEMIEUX M."
"CROSBY S."

Any help on how to parse a string variable on allcaps is greatly appreciated.
Cheers,