Re: st: query pooling data on dependent variable logit mnl

From   Ronan Conroy <>
To   "" <>
Subject   Re: st: query pooling data on dependent variable logit mnl
Date   Fri, 16 Mar 2012 13:24:04 +0000

On 2012 Márta 16, at 12:59, Christine Zozula wrote:

> Our dependent variable is dichotomous: whether or not someone received
> a sanction for misconduct. But there are actually two kinds of
> sanctions (we can call them A and B), and we’re interested in knowing
> whether the same variables predict both sanction A and B in the same
> way.  In other words, are we justified in combining the two sanction
> types into a single (logistic) regression, or must we treat them
> separately in something like a multinomial logit regression?

Your hypothesis states that there are two kinds of sanction, discriminable by your predictor variables.

If so, it's multinomial logistic with a post-hoc comparison of the coefficients of the predictor variables.

Ronán Conroy
Associate Professor
Division of Population Health Sciences
Royal College of Surgeons in Ireland