st: fmlogit interpreting marginal effects

From   Trudy Sullivan <>
Subject   st: fmlogit interpreting marginal effects
Date   Fri, 16 Mar 2012 05:23:23 +0000

Hello Statalist
I have six dependent variables that are fractions and add up to 1. I used fmlogit to estimate a fractional multinomial logit and I used dfmlogit to compute the marginal effects. In my case the six dependent variables could equally be used as the reference category. I want to interpret the marginal effects for the six dependent variables but depending on which variable is omitted, the marginal effects change slightly. How should I proceed? dmflogit computes the marginal effects for the omitted category and I don’t understand how to interpret this marginal effect.
Thanks for your help. Trudy.