Bookmark and Share

Notice: On March 31, it was announced that Statalist is moving from an email list to a forum. The old list will shut down on April 23, and its replacement, is already up and running.

[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: st: the use of foreach command in Stata

From   Rosie Chen <>
To   "" <>
Subject   Re: st: the use of foreach command in Stata
Date   Wed, 14 Mar 2012 18:23:23 -0700 (PDT)

Nick, sorry that I didn't see your response to Till earlier. If using `var' instead of lname is ok, then I guess my question is:  how can I save all the histogram graphs and track back all the graphs? Stata only showed the last graph to me. Thank you,

From: Nick Cox <>
Sent: Tuesday, March 13, 2012 3:13 PM
Subject: Re: st: the use of loop function in Stata

As before I recommend against using the term "loop function". You are
using the -foreach- command. It's not a function (Stata sense).
"Looping with -foreach- " also makes sense.

The reason this doesn't work is that "lnamelist" is not a keyword
recognised by -foreach-: look again at the help.

Till actually recommended something different from what you typed:

foreach lname in lnamelist

but that is also illegal, except in very special circumstances, a loop
with just one literal name "lnamelist". I didn't spot in my earlier
reply that Till's suggestion was illegal (except in very special

On Tue, Mar 13, 2012 at 6:50 PM, Rosie Chen <> wrote:
> Thank you, Steve and Till. Below is the revised syntax, but I got an error message
of "variable lnamelist not
found".  Isn't lp* the list? This is the first time I use the loop function, so any suggestion would be appreciated.
> foreach lname in lnamelist lp*{
> histogram `lname',  by(AI4, col(1))
> graph save histogram`lname', replace
> }
> ----- Original Message -----
> From: Steve Nakoneshny <>
> To: "" <>
> Cc:
> Sent: Tuesday, March 13, 2012 11:28 AM
> Subject: Re: st: the use of loop function in
> You will also need to add the -replace- option to the histogram
> On 2012-03-13, at 8:44 AM, Dr. Till Ittermann wrote:
>> Hi,
>> I would loop over lname not var:
>> foreach lname in lnamelist {
>> histogram `lname',  by(AID4, col(1))
>> graph save histogram`lname'
>> }
>> m 13.03.2012 15:36, schrieb Rosie Chen:
Nick, thank you very much for the further advice, which makes the
syntax more efficient. Given the loop syntax I have, how to save all the
histogram graphs? If I use the code below, the error message says:
"file histogram.gph already exists".
>>> foreach var of varlist lp*{
>>>     histogram `var',  by(AID4, col(1))
>>>     graph save histogram
>>> }

*   For
searches and help try:

*   For searches and help try:

© Copyright 1996–2015 StataCorp LP   |   Terms of use   |   Privacy   |   Contact us   |   Site index