st: Exporting tables using estpost and tabout

From   "Tessa Hillgrove" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: Exporting tables using estpost and tabout
Date   Wed, 14 Mar 2012 15:23:50 +1100

I'm trying to automate running tabulations in a survey dataset (numerous variables over 80ish areas).  I've been successfully using the estpost / esttab command for categorical variables with proportions (plus SE and CI) as the desired output, but haven't been able to do the same for continuous variables with means as the desired output.

I've turned instead to tabout, but am having trouble appending each table to the same text file- instead, the table output for each subsequent analysis is pasting over the previous table, leaving me with the output for area4 instead of a text file containing tables for area1-area4.

This is the syntax for analysis of wellbeing (continuous variable) by area (binary variable):

set more off
foreach var of varlist area1 area2 area3 area4 {
tabout  `var' using "***.txt", append c(mean wellbeing se ci) f(2m) svy sum rep style(tab)
}

So, my questions are
1) Is there a way to use estpost/esttab to obtain mean, SE and CI statistics for variables in a survey dataset?
2) Any ideas why the append option isn't working in tabout?

Cheers,
Tessa
IMPORTANT - This email, including all attachments, may be confidential. If you are not the intended recipient, you must not disclose, distribute, copy or use the information contained in this email or attachments. Any confidentiality or privilege is not waived or lost because this email has been sent to you in error. If you have received it in error, please let us know by reply email, or telephone us on (613) 96671333, delete it from your system and destroy any copies. Any representations or opinions expressed in this email are those of the individual sender, and not necessarily those of the Victorian Health Promotion Foundation.

SPAM DISCLAIMER - VicHealth utilises spam filtering software on our email server. Users acknowledge that while every effort is made to ensure the filtering service operates optimally, it is possible that the SPAM filtering software may inadvertently block an otherwise legitimate email. If you have not received a response to an email you’ve sent after 2 days, we recommend you call our office on (61 3) 9667 1333 to confirm receipt.