st: a way to read directories into global

From   Caleb Southworth <caleb.southworth@gmail.com>
To   statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu
Subject   st: a way to read directories into global
Date   Tue, 13 Mar 2012 12:31:27 -0700

I am a mac user, in case the answer to this question is not generic.

I have projects that are shared among multiple authors. So that do
files run on various machines, I have a standard set of global macros,
such as

global dopath "/users/caleb/dropbox/p12/dofiles/"
global datpath "/users/caleb/dropbox/p12/dta/"
global docpath "/users/caleb/dropbox/p12/doc/"
global tmppath "/users/caleb/dropbox/p12/tmp/"
global origpath "/users/caleb/dropbox/p12/orig/"

Any of my collaborators can then write their own macros with the
appropriate paths for their environment.

If the same directory and subdirectory structure existed on a
different computer, but had a slightly different path -- say
/users/foo/dropbox -- is there a way to have stata search for that
information and then read it into the relevant macro?

We're already using dropbox to sync the files and avoid duplicates or
saving over the top of one another's work.