st: RE: Save -table- command results

From   Nick Cox <>
To   "''" <>
Subject   st: RE: Save -table- command results
Date   Mon, 12 Mar 2012 14:58:02 +0000

-statsmat- is from SSC (Christopher F. Baum and friend). Please remember to explain the provenance of user-written commands.

You don't have to use -statsmat- at all to get a matrix. There are many ways of doing it.

Here is one:

collapse (sum) var1 var2 var3 var4 var5 [w=factor], by(decil)
mkmat var*, matrix(mysums) row(decil)

Pablo Bonilla

I would like to know if there is a way to save the results from the
-table- command in matrices. I am using the -statsmat- command but It
is very inefficient if I need to use it with the by() option.

For instance, this is what I want to save:
table decil [w = factor], c(sum var1  sum var2 sum var3  sum var4 sum
var5)  f(%19.2f) row

But I have to do it in this way in order to get a matrix:
cap mat drop mat1
foreach var in var1 var2 var3 var4 var5 {
	statsmat `var' [w = factor], by(decile) stat(sum) format(%16.0f)
	mat mat1 = nullmat(INCOME),`income'