Re: st: RE: Copying Stata code with line numbers

From (Brendan Halpin)
Subject   Re: st: RE: Copying Stata code with line numbers
Date   Sat, 10 Mar 2012 12:44:32 +0000

On Sat, Mar 10 2012, Nick Cox wrote:

> Charles didn't mention preservation of syntax highlighting as a requirement.
> As the problem posed is to copy into a word processor, I would be
> curious to know which word processors support Stata syntax
> highlighting.

Not to provoke Nick into a VI vs Emacs flamewar (and I see that I am
trying his patience), but Emacs has a partial solution to this. The
"htmlize" function will create a html version of the syntax-highlighted
text, which can be imported by your word processor.

However, the syntax highlighting (based on Bill Rising's ado-mode) is
not 100% correct as it is heuristic rather than syntactical, so to
speak. It's good enough to be useful, but it is not perfect.

If Sergiy really wants official Stata syntax highlighting, would a
screenshot be an acceptable compromise?

Brendan Halpin,   Department of Sociology,   University of Limerick,   Ireland
Tel: w +353-61-213147  f +353-61-202569  h +353-61-338562;  Room F1-009 x 3147    ULSociology on Facebook:         twitter:@ULSociology