st: Converting count to dichotomous variable

From   Aminu Shittu <>
Subject   st: Converting count to dichotomous variable
Date   Fri, 9 Mar 2012 21:30:53 +0000

Dear Statalisters,

I have var1 in my data set which represents number of death in a fish pond and var2 representing the existing number. The daily mortality was recorded in 7 fish ponds (var3) for a period of 1 year (365x7 rows). I am interested in creating a dichotomous var4, to indicate whether a daily mortality had occurred or not, without taking number of counts into consideration. Is it possible to do this in Stata or Excel?