Re: st: Copying Stata code with line numbers

From (Brendan Halpin)
Subject   Re: st: Copying Stata code with line numbers
Date   Fri, 09 Mar 2012 10:53:03 +0000

The one bit of essential vi or vim knowledge:

   To exit (without saving): <esc>:q!<ret>

I used to think that that was just a smartass remark, but about once
every year or so I find myself in vi by accident[1], and remembering
this little wisecrack saves me a lot of frustration. The vi interface is
extremely efficient but not at all intuitive!

[1] Mostly due to the completely unreasonable practice of visudo using
vi to edit the sudoers file. Note that if you've managed to enter useful
text, a constructive way to exit is <esc>:wq!<ret>.
Brendan Halpin,   Department of Sociology,   University of Limerick,   Ireland
Tel: w +353-61-213147  f +353-61-202569  h +353-61-338562;  Room F1-009 x 3147    ULSociology on Facebook:         twitter:@ULSociology