st: RE: RE: RE: Use of aweights command in xtivreg2

Subject   st: RE: RE: RE: Use of aweights command in xtivreg2
Date   Wed, 7 Mar 2012 23:09:03 -0000

Dan,

That's right.  You can also check (if you don't have too many dummies)
by using -regress- and including the dummies by hand.

> Yet when I manually time demean variables and run a
> regression using the weights that vary within the panel (in
> other words manually doing what I think areg is doing) I get
> different estimates. So I must have misunderstood somewhere here.

Possibly you are not demeaning correctly.  A common mistake is not to
demean using a consistent sample. BTW, Ben Jann's -center- is a
convenient tool for demeaning by hand.  The -casewise- option will
guarantee you are using a consistent sample.

HTH,
Mark